|Research Article:||Frequency and Association of GSTM1 and GSTT1 Gene Polymorphisms with Survival in Breast Cancer Patients|
|Author:||Phakarat Tangkheunkan, Kitiphong Harncharoen, Somchai Thanasitthichai, Danai Tiwawech, Wichai Purisa, Pensri Saelee, Ruxjinda Wattanalai|
|Department/Faculty||Faculty of Pharmacy, Siam University, Bangkok 10160|
|Published||Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, 2020 (vol.)21 No.8 Page 2251-2257|
Phakarat Tangkheunkan, Kitiphong Harncharoen, Somchai Thanasitthichai, Danai Tiwawech, Wichai Purisa, Pensri Saelee, Ruxjinda Wattanalai (2020). Frequency and association of GSTM1 and GSTT1 gene polymorphisms with survival in breast cancer patients. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, 21(8), 2251-2257.
Objective: Glutathione S-transferase M1 and T1 (GSTM1 and GSTT1) are the key detoxification enzymes of xenobiotics, including chemotherapeutic drugs. The deletion polymorphisms of GSTM1 and GSTT1 genes are associated with reduced enzyme activity that influenced clinical outcomes of chemotherapeutic agents in breast cancer. However, there is limited information among Thai patients. This research aims to explore the frequency and role of GSTM1 and GSTT1 polymorphisms on survival among Thai patients with breast cancer. Methods: The retrospective cohort study was performed. Demographic data and clinicopathology characteristics were collected from hospital base registry data and medical records. A multiplex qualitative real-time PCR method was used to detect the presence or absence of the GSTM1 and GSTT1 gene in the genomic DNA samples of the participants. Results: The frequencies of the GSTM1 and GSTT1 null genotypes in 198 breast cancer patients were 65.70% and 33.30%, respectively. The overall survival at 1, 3 and 5 years were 95.00%, 83.00%, 71.00% respectively. The log rank test and Cox proportional hazards revealed a significant different in the 5-years overall survival according to lymph node metastasis and tumor stage (P = 0.014 and P < 0.001). No associations between overall survival and GSTM1 or GSTT1 genotype were found in single or combined genotypes analyses (P = 0.76 and P= 0.15). Conclusion: The results of our study provided the epidemiological information for prognostic of survival in breast cancer patients treated with chemotherapy.
Keywords: GSTM1- GSTT1- polymorphism- survival- breast cancer.
Frequency and Association Of GSTM1 and GSTT1 Gene Polymorphisms with Survival in Breast Cancer Patients
Faculty of Pharmacy, Siam University, Bangkok, Thailand
- Thromboprophylaxis in Multiple Myeloma Patients Receiving Immunomodulatory Drugs
- The Perspective of Stakeholders towards the Problems and Solutions of Health Products Available Through Social Commerce in Thailand
- Prognostic Value of Serum Procalcitonin level for the Diagnosis of Bacterial Infections in Critically-ill Patients
- Formulation and in-vitro evaluation of fast dissolving tablets using superdisintegrant blend with effervescent materia
- Doripenem dosing regimens in Asian critically ill patients with continuous real replacement therapy
- Doripenem dosing in Asian critically ill patients with continuous renal replacement therapy
- Design and characterisation of electrospun shellac-polyvinylpyrrolidone blended micro/nanofibres loaded with monolaurin for application in wound healing