|Research Article:||Therapeutic drug monitoring of intravenous busulfan in Thai children undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: A pilot study|
|Author:||Thaksin Jansing, Kleebsabai Sanpakit, Trai Tharnpanich, Thanjira Jiranantakan, Vachira Niphandwongkorn, Busba Chindavijak & Thanarat Suansanae|
|Department/Faculty:||Faculty of Pharmacy, Siam University, Bangkok 10160|
|Published:||Pediatric Hematology and Oncology. 2021 Mar 3, 1-14|
Thaksin Jansing, Kleebsabai Sanpakit, Trai Tharnpanich, Thanjira Jiranantakan, Vachira Niphandwongkorn, Busba Chindavijak & Thanarat Suansanae. (2021). Therapeutic drug monitoring of intravenous busulfan in Thai children undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: A pilot study. Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Mar 3, 1-14. doi: 10.1080/08880018.2020.1871136.
Busulfan (Bu) is commonly used in myeloablative conditioning regimens for children undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. The standard target area under the concentration-time curve (AUC) of Bu is approximately 900-1500 µM min. In previous studies using five fixed doses (0.8-1.2 mg/kg) for Bu without dose adjustment, 75% patients achieved the target AUC. The aim of this pilot study was to determine the percentage of target AUC for intravenous (IV) Bu in Thai children. IV Bu was administered every 6 h over 16 doses. Blood samples were collected for pharmacokinetic (PK) analysis after the first, ninth, and thirteenth doses of Bu. Seven patients (2-14 years; median 6 years) were diagnosed with thalassemia (n = 4), acute myeloid leukemia (n = 2), and pure red cell aplasia. Three, two, and two patients received Bu at 1.1, 1.2, and 0.8 mg/kg, respectively. The AUC of Bu varied from 292-1714 µM min (median = 804). Nine (42.86%), eleven (52.38%), and one (4.76%) AUC values were within, below, and above the target, respectively. The median (range) Bu clearance was 5.93 (1.91-14.65) mL/min/kg. In this study, 42.86% AUC value achieved the target, which was lower than that in previous studies. Therapeutic drug monitoring (TDM) of Bu should be considered in Thai children receiving five fixed doses of IV Bu, and dose adjustment should be performed as necessary. Further PK studies for Bu with a larger sample size are warranted for confirming the necessity of TDM in every step dose of Bu.(Trial registration numbers; TCTR20190528003).
Keywords: Area under the curve, busulfan, children, therapeutic drug monitoring, transplantation.
Therapeutic drug monitoring of intravenous busulfan in Thai children undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: A pilot study
Faculty of Pharmacy, Siam University, Bangkok, Thailand
- Thromboprophylaxis in Multiple Myeloma Patients Receiving Immunomodulatory Drugs
- The Perspective of Stakeholders towards the Problems and Solutions of Health Products Available Through Social Commerce in Thailand
- Prognostic Value of Serum Procalcitonin level for the Diagnosis of Bacterial Infections in Critically-ill Patients
- Formulation and in-vitro evaluation of fast dissolving tablets using superdisintegrant blend with effervescent materia
- Doripenem dosing regimens in Asian critically ill patients with continuous real replacement therapy
- Doripenem dosing in Asian critically ill patients with continuous renal replacement therapy
- Design and characterisation of electrospun shellac-polyvinylpyrrolidone blended micro/nanofibres loaded with monolaurin for application in wound healing